Double Sided Quilling Comb review & Tutorial
If you are a regular reader of this blog, you wouldve already read THIS post on Quilling tools where I explained in detail about all quilling tools that are available. I own only a few of them viz slotted quilling needle, quilling board & quilling comb although I create quilled projects.
Be sure to also check out all the quilling tutorials covered :
- Basic Quilling tutorial : Making Flat Tight Quilled Coils
- Basic Quilling instructions : Quilled Teardrop Shape
- How to make Quilled Flower Petals without tools
- How to make Quilling Leaves without tools
- Quilling Butterfly Tutorial
- Tight Quilled Flower Tutorial
- Beehive technique Quilled flower tutorial
- Quilled Wall Hanging Tutorial
- Quilled Hearts Card Tutorial
- Quilled Malaysian flowers Tutorial
- Quilling Comb Flower Tutorial with Video
- Double Sided Quilling Comb review & Tutorial
- Quilling Combing technique : Quilled bird
I had ordered a quilling comb from Priya of Craftshop and I also did a quilled flower tutorial (HERE) with the comb. Recently Priya asked me if I could do some tutorials with Double sided quilling comb and as usual I was excited to try this new tool.
What is double sided quilling comb?
As you can see from its photograph, its a quilling comb which has teeth on both the sides. On one of the side, the teeth is widely spaced while on the other, its closer. It also has a sturdy handle with cute puppy paws which I feel is really cute 🙂
How different is double sided quilling comb from normal quilling comb?
If you haven’t come across the normal quilling comb, here is a photograph featuring both the tools side by side.
- Double sided comb has two variants of teeth ( in terms of spacing between them) which is useful in creating different varieties of quilled works.
- Double sided comb has a handle which I did not rather use while using it. Instead I balanced the comb by keeping the comb over my stomach ( this might sound weird but I most of the time sit in front of TV in my relaxing position and do my craft works except cards) so that I could use both my hands for quilling. In the case of using a single sided comb, I had to hold the comb with one hand and whenever I needed both hands, I had to do some juggling! I find the double sided comb better that way.
- Double sided comb had teeth towards either sides which means if you are working on the left side teeth, your right hand will get poked by the right side teeth. I don’t know if this might happen with everybody but the way I work, the teeth pokes the inside of the opposite hand which is okay since they aren’t very sharp but still.
- Double sided comb is a two in one tool so I need not go in search of my hair combs when I need a closer or wider spaced comb for quilling.
What can I use double sided quilling comb for?
There are a variety of things you can make from double sided quilling comb. I shall demonstrate one of them in this post and another one in upcoming post.
- You can use them to make teary loops quilled flower as shown HERE
- You can make fillings to fill in colors to portrait quilling as shown HERE
- You can make the spreuer shape for flowers and leaves as shown HERE
Im sharing a previous post from TCA wherein I had explained how to make a flower using quilling comb HERE.
I recreated the same flower using the closely spaced side of the double sided quilling comb and I loved the result.
The loops were closely spaced and so the petals looked more filled and colorful. You can refer to my previous post HERE for the tutorial but anyways I’m sharing a few pictures here .
Where can I buy double sided quilling comb?
You can buy this quilling comb from Priya’s Craftshop. You can find all quilling tools HERE and this double sided quilling comb HERE. If you are into quilling, this will be a good investment and the price is very reasonable so I would recommend you to definitely go for it!
Do let me know if you own a double sided quilling comb and how you use it. Will be coming up with anther tutorial with double sided quilling comb soon so stay tuned 🙂 By the way, today is the last day to enter Giveaway from Rainbow Craftykari so please remember to enter your name HERE after following all the giveaway rules 🙂 Also you stand a chance to win special goodies from me if you have entered in all 7 giveaways so ENTER soon!!!!