DIY Mini Christmas tree
As i promised, the second part of my christmas decoration is here 🙂 I really wanted this Christmas to be special but having to spend our Christmas at my home and my in-laws home left me feeling so lazy about decorating my house. But nonetheless i did try out these cutie lil mini christmas trees as our living room centerpiece just above our television set.
Materials required to make mini christmas tree
- evergreen tree branch ( i think you call them evergreen tree..i mean just check out the photo and figure out the tree 😛 we call it christmas tree as well).
- twine – prefereably green color
- empty carton boxes ( i used my daughters cerelac boxes)
- maybe a green color paper as well
- ribbons/bows/confetti etc for decoration
Stepwise tutorial to make mini christmas tree
Okay so to be frank i guess this is my first self inspired craft 😛 i searched so much on google and pinterest to find tutorial for mini christmas tree that i could adapt but all in vain. So i sat up to make my own and the first one turned out to be a disaster although it looked something close to a tree so i dint discard it 😛
- First of all, open up your carton boxes – one box for one tree so select your box depending on the size of the tree you want – mini or very mini!
- Assume a mid point of your carton box sheet on one side and start rolling to make a cone. Staple wherever possible to secure the cone tightly. Cut out the bottom part so that you get a flat base for your mini christmas tree to stay straight.
- Your base is done now. You may if you have time stick up this cone with green sheet cz once i made my mini christmas tree i felt my cerelac box was showing here in there between the tree branches although it kinda felt like a decoration.
- Now for the mini christmas tree branches, pluck out the leaves of the evergreen from the branches- they are like stick sorts with tiny bits of leaves on it ( you can see in the photos)
- Now depending upon the height of the cone/mini christmas tree base that you made right now, you can decide the number of layers for your mini christmas tree. On an average i guess you can have 3 layers for small cone and 4 for bigger ones.
- So just with a random calculation you can figure out the length of branches for each of the layers and cut your branches smaller accordingly.
- Take 3-4 of the brnach peices and spread on the cone – start with bottom layer fist. Make sure your branches are placesd low enoough for the base to be covered totally. Take your thread and tie the branches aroud the cone – make sure to tie it not too tight else your bottom layer will tend to keep going up , the tighter you tie. Keep adding more branches side by side in batches of 3-4 at a time followed by one round of the thread around it each time.
- Since your branches have poky leave the thread will very nicely stick around. As i told you make sure you aren’t pulling the thread too tight else your layer will tend to go up leavign a part of your carton box exposed at the bottom ( my first mini christmas tree had al possible defects!)
- Once your layer one is over you can start with layer two – you can overlap a little portion of your layer 2 branches over your layer 1 so as to give an actual tree look. Keep doing the same procedure for this layer and keep adding layers till your cone gets covered fully.
- Wasnt it really easy ? Maybe the first tree will be a lil not so perfect but if you try it second time im sure you will get the hang of it and your tree will actually look like a mini christmas tree.
- You can secure the last layer by tightly tying up the last branches at the top of the cone and mayeb you can even hide the thread by tying a ribbon bow on top.
- I decorated my mini christmas tree by cutting strips of shiny gift wrapping paper and by sticking up confetties on it 🙂
Did you like this mini christmas tree? I know i havent done justice with the tutorial pics but then i have to admit my first attempt on making this was a huge disaster ( that you can see from the pic) but the 2nd and 3rd trees turned out pretty well.
Do check out my popsicle stars tutorial HERE as well that i made this christmas 🙂