A short story on my calligraphy journey – from where I started to where I have reached. And also a big reveal on my calligraphy milestone too 😉 Sit back and enjoy all my old calligraphy attempts like me and have a good laugh 😛
I have been getting a lot of encouragement on my calligraphy works on social media and ever since then, my blog and crafting has taken a backseat! I do not know if my blog readers are interested in calligraphy but I thought why not share a little bit about my calligraphy journey, now that I have reached a serious milestone as well ( more on that below ). So to be frank I started my calligraphy journey in 2014 end when I decided I was going to take part in lettering challenges and improve my handwriting. As with any other challenge, I went on for a week max and I gave up. I decided I wasnt good enough and that I needed to add some professional supplies! Here is a look on few of my older calligraphy attempts and seeing them, I literally burst out laughing!
- I was asked by my sister to make a cover design for her poem “purple kisses” and this was like the best I could come up with. That was probably 2 years back but look at how much I failed pathetically at bounce calligraphy 😛
- I was quite determined to make the purple kisses look better so I tried yet another style filled with flourishes and omg I dont even dare look at it 😛
- My very first attempt at brush calligraphy was this. I might’ve written better in my 1st grade but well practice made me better right?
- This was when I got confident about my
horriblecalligraphy skills and decided to drop a dose of it in all my greeting cards one Christmas 😀
- A somewhat better version and this I made for my dear friend Piyu. I made her a set of card with motivational quotes and this was one of them. Though not the best, I can see the improvement 🙂 Can you ?
- This was an entry for rockyourhandwriting challenge on insta few years back which infact had led me to take calligraphy a little more seriously. The prompt here was slow and fast writing – which one do you like better?
- Again an entry for rockyourhandwriting challenge and faux calligraphy at its peak! But I like how neat they are despite the strokes looking very much stressed and forced. I think I was using my new parker calligraphy pen here 😉
- I made use of my dot grid book to put kolam 😛 “kolam” is a traditional indian motif/pattern that they put in the front of their house my making use of grid patterns.
- This one is almost a year back wherein my practice was better and handwriting as you can see had also improved.
- I even did a wall frame centered around my calligraphy 🙁 I did love it so much back then but now I can see a whole lot of imperfection in them!
But I would say that every step of your growth is important because only then you would know how far you have come. Seeing my old posts, I am happy right now that I have improved a lot better and I know that looking back long later, I would find this post funny but this post is meant to be. Meant to be the motivation for me to keep improvising and practicing. Meant to be a kick started for you guys to try your hand at calligraphy too.
Now coming to the milestone part, I have a huge announcement to make. I contributed towards the design of an ebook titled “I still remember”, authored by Priya Prithviraj ( my very own little sister). I cannot thank Priya enough for the support she has given me when it came to the cover design. Even though I practice watercoloring and calligraphy often, I never considered myself as anything in that field until she put faith in my works and asked me to design the cover for her maiden book. As much as I was thrilled with the idea, I was scared thinking about the number of redo’s I might have to do but then she loved my work and the designing went so smooth and in time 🙂
The book as I mentioned is my sister maiden book so I request you guys to please please please do get a copy of it ( its free for kindle unlimited and amazon prime members for a limited period of time and she also has a giveaway for three copies as a part of the book launch). Its a short story – about 5000 words, good enough for a weekend read and especially its a romantic one, the story of an everyday girl.
” How do you forget someone you’ve loved once?
Ji-woo dreams of becoming a writer and is back in college giving it a second shot. But then Weon-gyu, her first love, comes back into her new life. Will she give up on her dreams or will she write them a happy ending? “
Priya is having a book launch tour hosted by writerly yours and you can hop into know more about her book 🙂
Like it? I handpainted them with watercolor and Priya was kind enough to do all the necessary editing works. The word “remember” is handlettered with tombow fudenosuke hardtip and the rest is types ones 😛 Did you like the cover? If you did I am sure you would love the book as well 🙂
Well so I just wanted to show you guys that I wasn’t born with the talent to swish swash and make pretty calligraphy 😛 I passed through all the wrong paths and finally I am assuming I am in the right path but I still have a lot to travel. If you haven’t read my previous post in the calligraphy section on the beginners calligraphy supplies, be sure to check them out too 🙂 For now, its a bbye from me and Priya 🙂 But be sure to visit the rest of the hop stops 😛
Genre: Contemporary Romance/ Coming-of-Age
Age category: Young Adult
Release date: May 14, 2017
How do you forget someone you’ve loved once?
Ji-woo dreams of becoming a writer and is back in college giving it a second shot. But then Weon-gyu, her first love, comes back into her new life. Will she give up on her dreams or will she write them a happy ending?